Matthew Michael Rourke, a member of Local 369 and employee of National Grid in Massachusetts, died at age 35 on May 26 following a tragic workplace accident.
Rourke worked as a first-class underground cable splicer and was alone in an electrical box when he was electrocuted. Fire and EMS staff attempted life-saving measures before taking Rourke to the hospital, where he later died. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration responded to the scene to assist with the investigation.
Rourke leaves behind his wife Patricia, his mother Lois Rourke and his sisters Meghan Rourke and Keely Labertew, and many friends and coworkers. At the time of his death, Rourke lived in the Boston area, but he grew up in Grafton, MA, where he attended high school and played varsity football. Coworkers say he was known for his hard-working nature, reliable sensibility, and easy rapport.